Friday, September 7, 2012

The Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach

Old placemat courtesy Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts.
I've been running a blog called the O.C. History Roundup for six years now, and of course I've written about tiki there in the past. Once in a while, I'll throw a link into the Tiki Lagoon to draw attention to one of my old tiki posts. Today, it's my April 28, 2012 post about the closing of the Royal Hawaiian restaurant in Laguna Beach, California. Link on over.

To that link, I will also add the following tale, of my first visit to the Royal Hawaiian -- long before it changed hands and long, long before it closed:
The Royal Hawaiian's back bar, shortly before it closed.
Aside from the aging tikis outside, the Royal Hawaiian's exterior didn't have much to recommend it. However, once you stepped inside the atmosphere changed completely. We were suddenly transported into a primitive island village of thatched huts, hidden in an overgrown artificial jungle. Each side of the building was perforated by large sliding glass doors that looked out on narrow strips of real tropical foliage and vintage tikis, lit dramatically with colored lights. There was no sign of the outside world.

The menu was a time machine set for 1950s America. The food was about as Hawaiian as I am. The exotic "Wiki Wiki Platter," for instance, was simply a steak with a baked potato wrapped in tinfoil. The only island theming to be found in the food was the ring of pineapple on the edge of my plate. My dinner also came (as did pretty much everything) with a thinnish French onion soup and a small salad drown in blue cheese dressing and served in a laminated wood bowl. It was all perfectly good food at a rather reasonable price. Your grandparents would have felt right at home, and so did I.

The jaw-dropper was the house drink, the Lapu Lapu -- a faux-Polynesian drink named after a Filipino warrior chief from the sixteenth century. The drink was outstanding, and came in a glass the size of,.... well,... You know that enormous brandy snifter your great uncle used to keep on top of the piano? The one that held his entire matchbook collection? It was like that. Clearly, it was a drink for sharing with friends.

But I held out the greatest hope for dessert. I had spied an item on the menu called "Pele: Goddess of Fire." There was no description, and I asked for none.

It was impossible NOT to order any dessert so audaciously named. The anticipation grew. We waited. And then,... suddenly,... out of the plastic jungle came our waiter, carrying (drum roll, please),... PELE: GODDESS OF FIRE!

It was a small dish with one scoop of vanilla ice cream, surmounted by a sugar cube that had been soaked in umpteen-thousand proof alcohol and set on fire! My Mid-Century faux-Hawaiian dining experience was complete.

Oh, Royal Hawaiian, you will be missed!

6 comments:

  1. Your description of the interior reminds me of a place that has been around for years and it hasn't changed one bit. It's called Bahooka. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the old interior. The remodeled "sterilized" interior was better than no Royal Hawaiian at all. I miss going there as it was about 6 miles from my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grand uncle and family owned that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, Please Lil... My name is Kristi (sorry for confusion, bf's gmail logged on). I have been going there since I was a very little girl with my grandparents, mom & siblings. Went there once during 1st remodel a few yrs back. Please & hopeful you may have SOME say to bring back the FREE refillable bread basket and as many original dishes as possible!
      XO, Kristi & Family

      Delete
    2. Please, Please Lil... My name is Kristi (sorry for confusion, bf's gmail logged on). I have been going there since I was a very little girl with my grandparents, mom & siblings. Went there once during 1st remodel a few yrs back. Please & hopeful you may have SOME say to bring back the FREE refillable bread basket and as many original dishes as possible!
      XO, Kristi & Family

      Delete
  4. re-opening this summer 2016!!! please contact for article update, and new photos

    ReplyDelete